tollbooth n : a booth at a tollgate where the toll collector collects tolls [syn: tolbooth, tollhouse]
- Alternative spelling of toll booth.
Tolbooth or tollbooth may mean several things:
- Places for the collection of payment at toll roads or customs.
- Historical Scottish term for places where councils met (some of which contained prison cells underneath). Especially well-known among them are:
- Tollbooth is also a character from the G.I. Joe universe.
- Tollbooth is a 1994 film directed by Salomé Breziner, and starring Lenny Von Dohlen and Fairuza Balk.
Nissen hut, POW camp, Quonset hut, bastille, black hole, booth, borstal, borstal institution, bridewell, brig, cell, concentration camp, condemned cell, crib, death cell, death house, death row, detention camp, federal prison, forced-labor camp, gaol, gatehouse, guardhouse, house of correction, house of detention, hut, hutch, industrial school, internment camp, jail, jailhouse, keep, kiosk, labor camp, lean-to, lockup, maximum-security prison, minimum-security prison, oubliette, outbuilding, outhouse, pavilion, pen, penal colony, penal institution, penal settlement, penitentiary, prison, prison camp, prisonhouse, reform school, reformatory, sentry box, shack, shanty, shed, sponging house, stall, state prison, stockade, the hole, tollhouse, training school